Saturday, August 31, 2013

Commencement Exercises

Odie and I spent the last month sitting in at Pet Centrics' Basic Obedience for Beginners class. All the alumni of the class are given the privilege to attend the same class over and over, as a refresher course of sorts, to do demonstrations of the skills being taught, and for me and my dog to learn even more. See, just like in human school, learning never stops. As we meet different sets of dogs, I get to learn different training techniques, common behaviors of humans attending training class for the first time, and the importance of timing when marking new behaviors. Pretty amazing stuff!

Odie poses for the camera as he presents the
tunnel, chute, and adjustable bar jump.
This module of Basic Obedience is quite fast-paced. I was surprised that what our batch did in six sessions, they achieved in three. We learned the place exercise in the intermediate class, but it was introduced to this class on their fifth session. Even more exciting is the use of different agility equipment like the tunnel with and without the chute, an adjustable bar jump, a tire jump, and a six-pole weave. We didn't have those, not even in intermediate class!

As usual, Odie is doing all sorts of demonstrations prior to having the other students try the activities. There are times when we'd take a while before he performs (he's been marking a lot in school lately, and sometimes he's really busy sniffing). When I do have his full attention though, he just struts like a complete show-off. He consistently impresses the other humans who keep complimenting him for his "unbelievable intelligence" when they, too, can achieve the same results if they consistently train. I mean, they should see Odie's batchmates!

The Saturday class is graduating in a few hours. I hope that they're getting the hang of training, and that they would sit in and also do demos when they officially become alumni. Oh, and I hope they submitted homework videos so they could get nice toys!!!

Fauxcolate cookies on the kitchen scale
I went on a baking spree this week and decided to let the graduating class be the judge of the fauxcolate cookies I made. I like calling it fauxcolate because I'm really sad that dogs can't have chocolate and I can't have a photo of me and Odie happily sharing a tub of Nutella. I love Nutella. I love chocolate. I mean, we can share peanut butter, but it's just not the same. Is cookie butter safe for dogs? Maybe we can work with that!

Anyway, yeah, I'm using carob which is like chocolate for vegans and is safe for dogs. It doesn't contain theobromine, a caffeine-like molecule found in chocolate that makes it dog poison. I still have a lot of carob powder from Singapore (it expires in 2014) and it's taking up space in the fridge. I didn't know what to bring to training so I whipped up a batch of cookies. The batch I did after the one in the photo has a nice marble effect because I split the dough in two, one part plain, one part with carob. Today I finished baking and put the cookies in little packs I found at home, and made sure that each one weighed 25 grams. The scent of cinnamon filled our humble home while I baked and packed. It was amazing.

I hope that the graduates like it so I can develop the product more and maybe start legit baking for dogs. No cakes because I have a loooong way to go in terms of frosting, but maybe little muffins could work!  I'm really getting into cooking and baking for dogs (maybe because my taste tester is too kind). Plus my cousin has an industrial kitchen that he hasn't been using recently, and it has complete equipment, and my aunt said I could whip something up in there if I want to! Exciting times.

Pet Centrics is holding a FREE orientation on September 14 for Puppy Class! Wow, time flies. Odie's puppy class orientation was on October 6 of last year. This means he's been training for nearly a year! I don't know if any human would aspire for his/her dog to be as crazy as Odie, but to get you started, sign up for orientation here! Gotta admit, I never imagined myself training a dog, but here we are.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis