Wednesday, March 19, 2014

The Rumbly in His Tummy

We're finally done with antibiotics!

The days after Odie's graduation were pretty rough. It's only now that I'm slowly catching up on lost sleep, and the panic had already flown away.

My sick boy asking for belly rubs.
It all started on a Sunday night when he had really bad runs coming out on the other end. I thought it was a simple tummy bug so I gave him Yakult and let him rest for the night. On Monday morning he threw up his bile. Twice. So I contacted our veterinarian (pediatrician, according to my mom) to ask what it might be and what I could do about it, and was given advice right away.

By Tuesday morning, I woke up to the sound of Odie's Yaya April telling me that she saw blood in his poop. I rushed to Odie and saw the horrible (not to mention insanely stinky) mess, although it was still the same bouncy baby boy going all over me and humping my arm. This time I contacted the vet and we agreed to have her visit Odie at home in hopes of getting to the root of the problem. Doc Marose reached our place a little over an hour later. She was welcomed by a crazy dog who kept sniffing and jumping, who showed nothing wrong during the physical exam, making me look crazy paranoid for having called for help. We were prescribed some medicine and a bland diet and were told that the upset stomach was caused by something wrong that he ate, or a dewormer that failed to get rid of all the worms.

Since he was vomiting, doc put Odie on a super slow feeding program. I was tasked to give five teaspoons of food every three hours. IT. WAS. TORTURE. Odie looked very excited when I would appear with the food container in hand, and then shift to a forlorn face after the fifth teaspoon. For a while I also couldn't bear to look at him without shedding a tear.

That same night, Odie had another bloody run. Moments after getting in his travel crate (and while I was patiently cleaning bloody dog poop in his wire crate), my sister told me that Odie vomited his dinner! So that's two soiled crates and it's not like we have a third so we let him roam his play area while I cleaned. I also tried my luck in contacting doc at midnight. I couldn't be more thankful to have a vet respond that late, who agreed to do a follow-up house call first thing in the morning.

I put tequila in my coffee on Wednesday morning as alcohol is my coping mechanism for highly stressful events. Odie was given another check-up and doc found nothing wrong. She gave me a couple of antibiotics just in case the dog's excrements would take a turn for the worse, and while we were discussing, Odie showed doc that he did need the antibiotics so doc showed me how to make a dog swallow medicine. It wasn't so easy at first (perhaps because half a pill was too big) so I was shown a technique to activate his swallow reflex. I ended up not using that as Odie fell for the pill bombs that I made. I just divided the pill into quarters so that he would swallow it with the ball of food. Problem solved!

Doc's gloves, his meds, and
a prescription for MORE meds.
Everything went slow and steady since that Wednesday morning house call. Zero changes in energy, zero changes in appetite, but Odie kept blasting the wrath of his broken stomach. I kept him on the bland diet for the duration of his antibiotics sessions so that our house help wouldn't be confused with feeding kibble and cooked food. I had to work long hours during the weekend so even if I was unsure, I entrusted Odie's care in the hands of the house help and my siblings. But of course I did it in such a way that nobody would get it wrong. I left a couple of rules on paper which included my phone number as well as the vet's, measured and labeled Odie's food, and taped the medicine to his meals. Odie's yaya still got it wrong. OH WELL. He was able to shift to a different medicine schedule upon consultation with doc so that was easily fixed.
OC Attack! Labeled food and a sheet of instructions.

Fast forward to today, he's done with medicine and he's back to the crazy boy with a happy tummy! In a few days we will begin practicing for a sporting event so I hope he's ready for tons of action. Now I know how it feels to take care of a sick dog. Definitely not easy! I'm just grateful that I'm not alone in looking out for my weirdog. Doc Marose was quick to respond, has been very patient in answering all my questions, handled my panic well, and monitored Odie's situation throughout this tummy bug episode. Veterinarians must have such strong tummies to endure looking at poop! Thank you, Doc Marose!

Perhaps Odie never felt weak because we called for help at the first sign of discomfort. Some pet owners take their pets' concerns to Google or social media thinking they would save money by getting answers online. Times are hard, yes, but the Internet did not graduate from vet school! Besides, if you wait for worse symptoms to show, you'd end up spending way more.

I'm so glad it's over. I learned a lot from this tummy bug alone, and am more or less ready for the next one. I hope the next one happens in 10 years or so. It's also a good thing that this all happened after Odie graduated from Advanced Class, and before the event on the 29th. Thank you for the good timing, universe!

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis