Monday, October 21, 2013

The One-Hour Vaccine

Odie: THIS IS A PROTEST!!!
It was the first time yesterday for Odie to be vaccinated by our current vet. When we made the switch, his shots were already complete so the only time we paid the new clinic a visit was in January of this year to ask for assistance regarding a skin problem. Odie's booster shots were actually due on Wednesday last week but since I didn't want him to miss class, I was given the option to either schedule it during the weekend or today. I settled for Sunday afternoon because my sister used the car Saturday afternoon, and I have work today. It was the most convenient option... or so I thought.

There was another dog in the training venue when we got there. I brought my sister along (well, more like forced her to come!) because Doc Marose did suggest that I bring someone when I informed her about our needle fears. We did a bit of training exercises to get Odie used to being pinched at the vaccination spot. That went pretty well! Doc also explained to me that there are some shots she won't be giving for fear of over-vaccination. See, our previous vet also gave a couple of shots that were supposedly due for boosters in two weeks. Doc went on to specifics of the two vaccines she would give, and when that was all clear, it was game time.

I seriously don't know HOW doc immediately felt that I was tensing up! I tried my best to shake it off but I don't think that was a success. Sucks how dogs know how their humans feel so all the fake courage just won't work. How many acting classes did I take again?

Our first attempt involved putting Odie on the table and giving him treats while the shot was being administered. He was okay until the actual syringe made the slightest contact with his body. BAM! He yelped and tried to make a run for it, and doc was forced to change the needle. She even pricked herself because of Odie's crazy contortions! It's good to be protected against parvo or distemper, except we're not dogs. Seriously though, I hope it's not dangerous.

Next attempt, doc instructed me to hug Odie a certain way so she could discreetly put the needle in. I did exactly what I was told to do, but Odie had other plans. When he felt the needle again, he climbed on my shoulder like a parrot (A 22-POUND PARROT!) and continued climbing until for some reason, we ended up with me in flat back position as the beagle just stood there! I didn't know Odie was pep squad material! Doc then tried to handle Odie on her own. Odie just stopped, sat, and received the first shot without us having to do anything at all. Totally weird, but hey, mission accomplished! It also confirmed doc's theory that Odie wasn't feeling any pain from the needle, he's just overreacting.

The second shot was even crazier! By then, I've already lost count of how many needle replacements we needed. Odie was getting very stressed, I was getting really worried, and I'm guessing Doc Marose also needed a breather which she couldn't get until we were done. Odie resisted and was almost impossible to control so we had to tether him. After some tries, my sister and I were told to stay far from Odie, until we were asked to step out so that he and doc could battle it out. True enough, it took just a short while (and help from an unknown surprise assistant) to get the second shot done.

It took a total of one hour, X needles, and two shots to finally call it a day. I don't know why, but Doc Marose apologized for taking longer than expected. HELLO. We should be the ones apologizing because our dog is crazy and very dramatic! She's been in the venue for three hours, working on a Sunday. If I went home really exhausted when all I had to do was try to help out, I could only imagine the physical and mental stress involved in restraining a hyper beagle. Doc suggested that Odie be taken in for shots in the clinic next time instead of the training venue. I'm gonna take that as a non-negotiable!

At the end of it all, I'm just very, very, VERY thankful that Doc Marose, even after realizing that giving Odie shots is a pain in the ass, mentioned "next time," which I assume means that she's willing to go through it with Odie again. Other vets might just give up and tell us to get shots elsewhere. I'm also thankful to have been given great advice on booster shots. Last year, I was just told what shots Odie was gonna get, zero explanations involved. I know I've said it over and over, but I really think that Odie is now getting the bestest best medical care. "Care" being the operative word. From training during puppyhood, to late night emergency concerns, and now to intense booster shot antics, I'm just so happy that there's someone who understands the crazies that Odie and I seem to have been born with.

Oh, and I was pinching him last night to "simulate" the vaccination process. He wasn't even reacting to it at all! Ugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis