Thursday, June 13, 2013

11th Month Play Date!

I have a month to prepare for Odie's birthday. Yikes.

Yesterday, Odie turned 11 months. That means he's in his last month of puppyhood and is on his way to becoming an adult dog. Come next month, all succeeding posts will refer to him as "dog" and no longer "puppy," it's crazy. I can't deal!

11-month old Odie wasn't smiling when I took photos. He just woke up from a nap.

We spent his 11th month just chilling, with the usual afternoon walk and at-home training. See, we already had a big activity the day before.

After weeks of conflicting schedules, Doc Marose and I finally introduced Odie, Ollie, and Tramp to one another! It was a pretty early morning for Odie and me. We went to the training venue at 8AM, an hour earlier than usual. We first met Tramp, a terrier mix who doesn't tolerate boisterous behavior. He has a tendency to get mad when meeting other dogs that are leashed so I had to take Odie's leash out before taking Tramp in. I was a bit nervous about how he would deal with Odie because HELLO, my little boy is hardly ever relaxed, he could very well qualify as teacher's rowdiest student!

True enough, after the obligatory butt-sniffing, Odie started to go all over his new friend. Well, at least he tried to. Tramp completely flipped out and it surprised Odie, he started running away real fast! It's Odie's first time to receive an intense correction from another dog. Usually, when his classmates are starting to get mad, the humans would intervene and take them apart. Doc said such interaction was beneficial for Odie. He's the only child in our home which might have made him very confident. Too confident that he would keep interacting with other dogs very excitedly which we all know is a faux pas.

It's unfortunate that I wasn't able to take photos of and with Tramp. I kept a close eye on Odie the entire time, observing his responses and worrying that further interaction would scare him. He learned to adjust after a while and maintained a certain distance when asked to take treats near Tramp. The two obviously didn't get to play.

Tramp went home and we did recall exercises in the court while waiting. Tramp was replaced by Ollie the lab. From a strict and reactive terrier, I was so shocked to see a super friendly, super tolerant lab. Odie must have felt so relieved to meet someone he could push around.

Ollie, Odie, and Doc Marose
Ollie came in panting heavily and sitting in front of me, waiting for treats. He's a really big dog who wouldn't lose weight in spite of all the daily walks. I was quite surprised and impressed that some of Ollie's verbal cues are in Filipino! I heard Doc saying "pasok" which was a cue to go through an open gate. Not so sure if I heard "inom" when we gave a water break, and I've seen his video doing "ikot" which is to turn. Odie only knows English (I mean, I didn't think of using Filipino verbal cues) and for some reason, I only talk to Odie in English. Maybe for succeeding cues, I should use Filipino. Or maybe Japanese! That would be so cute! "Odie-san, mizu o nomimasu! Hai! Yo shi Yo shi!" Okay I'm having fun.

Sadly, I was able to take only one photo and it's not even decent. Odie's friendliness was on overdrive, he kept on giving celebratory humps to Ollie so we had to keep breaking the two apart. Ollie didn't seem to mind being humped by a very rambunctious puppy. Odie was literally humping in all directions! He kept on going for Ollie's back, his side, his other side, there was even a time Odie humped with his tail on Ollie's face (yes, face. I was going to use "head" but I know it would take things way out of context HAHA). The two of them kept playing with each other while taking treats from the humans. Needless to say, they had a grand time.

When the boys got tired, we called it a session and started packing up. Actually, Ollie was the only one who showed he was tired, Doc had to calm Odie down because he was having the crazies. We agreed that there will be a next time so that Tramp could get used to Odie and for the three dogs to establish a good relationship. I can't wait for the succeeding play dates! It sure was a great way to spend Odie's 11th month a day ahead. Yesterday we kept it simple - our daily walk, play time, cuddle time, and some food adventures that I'll save for another entry.

Happy 11th month, Odie the Beagle Boy! You keep growing and growing but you're still my baby!

8 comments:

  1. OMG! I was laughing so hard at the Japanese cues. :)))) Well, because I can only imagine anime characters speak Japanese. Hahahahaha!

    Ollie is really a sweet-looking dog no? I remember he kept sniffing for treats when we had our make-up class with him, while Bon hid under the platform and Buzz followed Ollie around. Haha.

    Oh no, birthday preps. :| I have a week to finalize if I'm going to order because "barkeries" require a lead time of one week. :| Tapos hassle pa pick-up 'cause the two barkeries I know are in San Juan. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't do anime, and I only had Japanese as foreign lang in college. Summer pa, so super limited, but I can carry a Jap conversation (especially when drunk haha).

      Ollie was so cute! Odie also kept following Ollie around. I think since kebs lang si Ollie, na-challenge si Odie na magpapansin sa kanya the whole time. Si Ollie naman kept going to the humans to politely ask for treats. Tramp naman is super disciplined and is a disciplinarian as well. Polar opposites. Didn't get to see Tramp and Ollie interacting though.

      Hassle nga yung barkeries because of the pickup, and I really want to take the challenge and bake my own cake. Wala lang. Para may artistic freedom din! Not sure pa if one round cake or several cupcakes because I'll end up slicing a big cake anyway. Grabe, ang bilis. Weren't we just enrolling in puppy class? :(

      Delete
    2. Cool! Try it! Try one Japanese trick. :))

      The recipe you posted sounds good kasi peanut butter. Parang I don't see barkeries use peanut butter as frosting? I think my mom is getting an oven. I hope this happens soon. She says we have a mixer (because she used to bake). Sooo. YIPPEE!!! I just need the molds. If we don't get an oven soon, I guess we're having a late party. :(

      I know, almost a year na. :( They used to be so little. :( I remember Odie in Puppy class, he was a very curious and friendly puppy! Ganun pa rin naman, only bigger. :))

      Delete
    3. Challenge accepted! But first, we research :)) Wala pa kong maisip na new trick. Maybe it's time for act ashamed!

      Do you know where to find paw-shaped molds? Parang ang boring kasi na muffin cups lang, or round cake lang. Feeling ko mapapa-oven na din ako for the birthday cake. Nakakatamad kasi eh, plus our toaster is big and has temp control so it's the easy way out. I want a Kitchen Aid mixer :(

      Boo, Bon, and Buzz were also so small (in Golden Retriever standards, at least) during Puppy Class! They're all still the same, but no longer fun-sized. Ang bilis!

      Delete
    4. Aahh I don't know. :( Oo nga no, would be cuter if it were paw-shaped. Or cat-shaped. Dog-shaped? Hahaha. Round cake would be okay then just design with paws using icing? Haha!

      I think Lovely pala is thinking of having a joint birthday celebration? Maybe we can have a puppy playdate for July!!! I miss taking the big boys to class. :(

      Delete
    5. I can't frost to save my life! :)) Sana may mahanap akong paw-shaped tray! Kung dog-shaped kasi parang... cannibalism :|

      Tramp and Ollie din daw are June-July babies (see comment below haha). Alam na kung kelan mating season heeheehee! Natuwa din ako pumunta sa court last week. Kung pwede lang mag-puppy class kaya lang feel na feel ni Odie yung pagka-big boy niya eh.

      Delete
  2. Thanks again for the playdate! Sorry that Tramp was so strict, and that Ollie slobbered all over Odie's toys. :)

    I blame my mother for Ollie's weight, hehe, even Tramp is beginning to look chunky. Haay. Mom insists they get yoghurt in the morning, merienda in the afternoon and additional treats anywhere in between! And most of the time this happens when I'm not looking, so she doesn't even make them work for it! She can't stand to say no to sad puppy eyes daw, meaning they have her wrapped around their paws. It's annoying but adorable, hay, moms talaga. :)

    All our boys are celebrating birthdays soon pala! Tramp on June 14 and Ollie on July 2. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pleasure's all mine, really! :) I'm sure Odie missed going to school and he had a blast meeting new friends the proper way. It's so frustrating to do our daily walks with unleashed dogs. Plus, he got to run freely in a big space which he doesn't get to do at home! I'm actually glad that Tramp is strict. I mean, when Odie looks at me and does his little tricks, all his sins are almost immediately forgiven. I need someone to keep me in check and who doesn't fall for the cute card. As for the slobbered toys, Odie did get blood stains on Tramp & Ollie's tug toy when his baby teeth were falling out. I'm guessing that was a lot harder to clean :D

      Odie isn't also very disciplined with food. I try out different recipes every now and then (from the recipes you share, to recipes on Google, to whatever I could think of) and I never fail because even just kibble gets him excited! I still have a hard time determining low-value and high-value treats. I'm just lucky he's on the lean side (at least for now) and he moves around A LOT.

      Oh, it's Tramp's birthday today? Happy birthday, Tramp!! We should have planned a joint birthday bash for Odie, Ollie, Tramp, Bon, Boo, Buzz and Brix! :) Is it too late? - See more at: http://odiebeagleboy.blogspot.com/2013/06/one-month-more.html?showComment=1371112717356#c5762962831801370073

      Delete

ShareThis